It’s summertime! Do you know what it means? Time to prepare fun activities that would bring out the best memories! A lot of families try to go out and enjoy having their version of a summer picnic. Some of y’all may be picnic fans out there and probably know everything on how to or what to bring during a special day but if you’re not sure what’s best for a picnic, we’re here to help you out with that.
- The Basket – These baskets are chic and handy. It will make your life easier since you’d like to put in everything there. Make sure to choose a basket that has tons of space.
- Blankets – Bring a blanket for you to sit on. This is where you’re going to lay out all the food and drinks. It would be nice to have a waterproof one just in case the garden is too damp.
- Water, Tea, Coffee and Alcoholic Drinks – Drinks are essential especially on a summer day. Bring in some of your favorite drinks; chill them out in a fridge before going out. Better to prepare a cooler on-the-go just to maintain the drinks’ coldness.
- Snacks – There are plenty of snacks you can prepare! Some prefer to bring sandwiches, muffins, quiche, pasta; basically the snacks that would be so easy to cook. We’ll include a quick and easy recipe below if you need an idea.
- Napkin and wipes – Believe it or not, these items would come very handy! A nice tool to use whether you have unwiped hands or utensils; wipe away those sticky fingers!
Now, going to the easy summer picnic recipe, we would recommend this dish that impresses your family and friends. This is called “Honey Brined Grilled Shrimp”.
- 1 ½ pounds unpeeled large shrimp
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons Ioway Bee Farm raw honey, divided
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small red Fresno chile, thinly sliced
- Devein shrimp, and remove legs from shells, if desired. (Do not remove shells from shrimp.) Combine 1 cup boiling water, salt, and 2 1/2 tablespoons honey in a large bowl; stir until the salt dissolves. Add ice cubes; stir until mixture cools. Add shrimp, and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Remove shrimp from bowl, discarding liquid. Pat shrimp dry with paper towels; toss shrimp with 1 1/2 teaspoons honey.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Place red wine vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons honey in a large bowl; stir with a whisk to combine. Gradually add olive oil, stirring constantly with a whisk until well blended. Stir in parsley, onion, oregano, and garlic
- Arrange unpeeled shrimp on grill grates coated with cooking spray; grill shrimp, uncovered, 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until lightly charred and cooked through. Add shrimp to bowl with vinegar mixture; toss well to coat. Arrange shrimp mixture on a platter; top with sliced Fresno chile.
Now that you have all the ingredients and tools for your picnic, go ahead and start planning! Take advantage of the summertime!